Wednesday 11 December 2013

Who is 'BEANBAG' ???

There is one thing that will not have escaped the notice of any Mumbai resident - and that is the 'Beanbag 26407383' graffiti that can be found all over the city. South to North and East to West.  You will see it on concrete walls, on the huge pipes that bring water down to the city from Powai, on flyovers and on 'wasted space'.  But mostly - you will find the graffiti on the temporary hoardings surrounding Mumbai's many new building developments. The spray painted advertisement is as unfailing as it is re-assuring.  As soon as a new building is finished and the hoarding comes down, another one is started and a new sign is made. Love or hate the graffiti, you can't deny that the salesman responsible for these ad-hoc campaigns is a marketing genius. 

A few days ago, I started snapping the logo wherever I saw it as a sort of photo project. But then I got to thinking, 'who is this Beanbag 26407383'?  Is it a real person selling real beanbags?  Or is 'beanbag' actually a euphemism for something more sinister?  That's when I bravely decided to call the eponymous number in order to find out.

But first - a small part of my Beanbag photo collection...you will have to carry on reading if you want to know who Mr Beanbag is....





So I called 26407383 with some trepidation.  Would they speak English? Would they think I was barmy for calling up to find out who 'Mr Beanbag' was?  My driver was already wondering what on earth I was doing making him stop every two minutes so that I could take photos of the signs.  I even had to explain to him what a beanbag was! After all, most Indian people sit on the floor if they are not sitting on a chair or divan.

I was very pleasantly surprised when the phone was answered by an efficient young lady.  I explained what I was trying to achieve and she put me straight through to 'Mr Beanbag' himself! (I am starting to make him sound like a character out of a Quentin Tarantino film).  Again I explained to 'Mr Beanbag', that I was trying to 'find the face' behind the graffiti - and let my readers know whether this was a true business rather than just a Banksy-type art concept.  That's when he told me to come and meet him at his head office in Goregaon West - this morning.

So now for the big reveal (**drum roll**).

As I have now discovered, there are actually three 'Mr Beanbags' - Farooq Ansari, his son Wahib Ansari (whom I did not meet) and their partner Sahil Shetty. Between them, they run Beanbagwala and Dolphin Beanbags (to give the businesses their full names). YES, it really is a business selling BEANBAGS! Climbing the stairs to their first floor shop, I was amazed to find that Sahil and Farooq looked more like two fashion designers than manufacturers of comfy seating. Farooq was dressed in what looked like Italian tailoring - with tapered chinos, checked shirt, blazer and trendy glasses. Extremely fashionable and confident.  Sahil - sporting blue trousers, t-shirt and button down cardigan - cuts an equally dashing figure.  

Farooq Ansari sits in one of the bean-filled thrones.

Sahil Shetty


Mr Beanbag and Mr Beanbag - this interview was turning into a fashion shoot!

I was so taken with their appearance, I nearly forgot to ask them about the beanbags!  

So we got talking about the business and Sahil gave me a mini-tour of their premises - which is heaped to the ceiling with products waiting to go out to customers.  He showed me their range of designs and sizes, all in a multitude of colours and fabrics. The customer can ask for exactly what they want.  I was particularly taken by the denim model - appealing to a more western aesthetic.  Around the back, I was introduced to a few of the workers - who were busy sewing up the outer casings before filling them with polystyrene beads. 

Above and below: let me take you behind the scenes....
....construction of the beanbags
This is a business that has been going for 30 years.  Started in 1983 by Farooq, it has steadily grown into a very successful beanbag empire. I asked Sahil - who was recently brought on to help develop the business - if the graffiti advertisements play a large part in their success.  He seemed reticent to answer but from the 60 calls a week they get for bespoke orders, I am guessing that their marketing concept works pretty well.

This photo of Farooq's son, Wahib Ansari (Mr Beanbag No. 2) was supplied after my visit
So there you are - the Mr Beanbags in the flesh!  I can highly recommend you give these very nice chaps a call if you are looking for a seating solution.  The beanbags are particularly great for kids - and if you ask, they can make you a pet bed too.  And there is more to their product range - like the bean-filled chairs and even an armchair, and the double sofa that can be flattened into a bed.  What's more, they are about to launch a range of wooden furniture.  Beanbag prices range between Rs 2,000 and 15,000 depending on size and design (the upper end is for real leather).

Brilliant bean chairs for teenage boys
Seats for budding footballers

My favourite - the denim line.  A good Christmas gift for a teenage girl.

A sample of the wooden furniture range they are developing


Contact details:

Dolphin Bean Bags
National Library Road, Behind Saraswat Bank
Opposite Bandra Lake, Near Ram Mandir
SV Road, Bandra West, Mumbai 400050
Tel 022 26432062 / 26407383
Email: dolphinbeanbags@yahoo.com
info@dolphinbeanbags.com
www.dolphinbeanbags.com

BeanbagWala
Shop No. 1
First Floor
Suyog Co-op Housing Society
Ram Mandir Road Signal
SV Road, Goregaon (W)
Mumbai 400062
POST SCRIPT:
This blog went unexpectedly viral due to the Facebook posting that was shared 1,880 times (as at 01/01/14) and seen by nearly 400,000 people.  The article also made it on to the Midday news portal and the Redbull.com website! Whoever thought that 'Who is Beanbag?' would turn out to be such a big mystery?!

Beanbag makes it on to the Midday news portal. Fame at last!

Article on the Redbull.com website




86 comments:

  1. Well dressed guys indeed with a great business idea and novel marketing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I myself have come across this sign so many times, specially when I used to be a resident of Khar (W) and I never realised that the "Beanbag" would actually stand for Beanbag! I don't know what I imagined it to be, but for it to be true to its name, beanbag makers, I never suspected it to be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the Graffiti clicks.. Brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  4. This graffitis just make the city look more dirty and ugly.
    In my option this is a not brilliant marketing ...but a disrespect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about giving these chaps some credit for running such a successful business and not criticizing them just for the heck of it. I bet you must be dirtying Mumbai too in some way. Do you see us constantly criticizing you?

      Delete
    2. I will give them a lot of credit for their marketing genius when they spray paint the sign on your face. Just because so far it is not your property that they have littered, it looks brilliant. A civilized society cannot function like this but that may be far reaching statement for a few.

      Delete
    3. If you see properly, the paint has been put on places where there is a construction or the building too old... what does that say about the Government ? and these guys are using the places least visited or by construction yards. So maybe that's what is really novel ? :) Always observe carefully before coming to conclusions !

      Delete
    4. I agree with you. If they were brilliant marketeers they wouldn't have resorted to to this vile form of advertisement.

      Delete
    5. Vile form of advertisement? How is this vile? All they did was spray paint a name and a number. It becomes vile when the content of the graffiti is gang signs and some such.
      And anyone who has ever thrown so much as a sweet wrapper on the street is as culpable as them, if they are. Forget about spitting or urinating.
      Grow up.
      And spray paint the sign on your face? That's just juvenile.
      So, resorting to your own methodolody, same to you. God in the middle.

      Delete
    6. hahaha god in the middle :D

      Delete
  5. Delhi used to have similar signs all over too, years ago. I seem to remember someone writing about those as well; can't find it now. But this took me back. Lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. I prefer it if you would just sleep in peace ;)

      Delete
    2. Surely going to die in peace now, seeing that it was such a BIG mystery for me until I read your blog! haha!

      Thanks for opening up the comments once again, much appreciated! :) Hope they get filled up with positive and constructive feedback.

      Delete
  7. Hahaha. Someone told me a long time ago that number was a call line for hookers or something.
    I actually expected to read that as I scrolled through! Silly me!
    But this looks like a fantastic business venture!
    Head2Heels

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wish the author of this place had told them to refrain from making the city even more trashier than it has to be.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. So, what's the moral of the story?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't judge a seat by its cover, never assume the worst of people, and try to be a marketing genius without defacing the neighbourhood...does that just about cover it?

      Delete
  10. Interesting way to market their products! Indeed the gentleman looks like a fashion guru than anything else .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now this is a blog post that deserves to go viral :-) And I'm sure it will finally boost their business as most people, like me, must have thought those numbers aren't actually for bean bags :-P You should have asked them why they don't opt for any other mode of marketing - especially in these times of Social Media - considering so many people must be hesitating to call a random number like that. Great read, any way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. In fact I bought 2 bean bags from them just by looking at the graffiti and calling them up and it was promptly delivered on a Saturday (that is when we wanted it) and the delivery boy took the payment. My grown up son an d daughter actually fight on who is going to sit on it as one of them gave way. In totality IT WAS A GOOD BUY.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is NOT a POKEMON! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! My thoughts exactly. That is insulting to Dragonball Z.

      Delete
    2. Haha! Very well noticed!

      Delete
  14. I had done a story on these guys in 2005 when at Time Out Mumbai, they were a funny bunch of guys. Guerrilla marketing continues to work very well for them

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good PR article.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ROFLMAO ! Thank you for solving the big mystery :P

    www.littlemisssinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. great...its every where in mumbai

    ReplyDelete
  18. So there was a number advertising beanbags and you called it and found out that it was people actually selling beanbags. You write a blog about that? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Umm, it's a blog. Anything that the blog owner wants to talk about is a valid topic.
      If you have an issue with it, don't read the blog.
      Simple, see?

      Delete
    2. Thank you Slayergrey for coming to my defence....don't you find it interesting that people who make such unnecessarily bitch remarks are usually 'anonymous'? And to you Anonymous, I say this....."so you saw a blog about people selling beanbags and you made a comment? wow!"

      Delete
    3. Apt reply BombayJules!! In one's blog one can write anything that interests them, nobody forced you to read it @Anonymous!!!

      Personally i never thought about the ad ever but when I read it in a fb post, it definitely ringed a bell...good read!!

      Delete
    4. It's your blog Jules and you can cover anything you want and give your opinion cos thats why people read it.Anonymous people who comment are not of any importance whatsoever! I thought the topic was unique and relevant to most people as we have spotted the sign somewhere or the other

      Delete
  19. "After all, most Indian people sit on the floor if they are not sitting on a chair or divan"
    Are you serious? Please make sure you're in the right era before you go about making racist comments like this. I like this investigatory article with a pleasant ending but tone down your racist remarks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How is that racist? We do sit on the floor if a couch or chair isn't available. I do it myself, and the vast majority of the Indians I know are incredibly comfortable on the floor if alternative seating space isn't available.
      I like this article, but tone down your incredibly unnecessarily offended remarks.

      Delete
    2. what's racist about saying that we sit on the floor? don't we sit on the floor?

      Delete
    3. I am proud to be Indian and sit on the floor.When we meet friends,we sit down and chat....what's racist about someone observing that?!! Someone sure has a complex!!

      Delete
    4. I am always sitting on the floor with my Indian co-workers and friends. Bloody ridiculous comment.

      Delete
  20. so someone finally discovered the truth behind beanbags.I lived in Chennai for a couple of years...till 2009. There, they have 'P. James - Magic Show 984xxxxxxx' spray painted all over walls a la beanbags. I used to tell my friends that p James is the beanbags of Chennai.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i loved this concept of marketing.... it's good for start up companies who do not want to waste much of their resources in marketing!!! But this kinda marketing adds a negative image to a company... in a way!! well...if it's working for them then i guess it's not d point of discussion !!! :)
    Thank you @BombayJules for finally solving this mystery!!! I always thought that they were numbers of some hookers or something!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. good stuff... look at you boys arguing over some signs and a blog post.. to each his own..I'm just surprised to find out they are actually bean bags :p

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yay. Now we know. THANK YOU! :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. You solved a myth!!! Man that was just pure awesomenes!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great ! now can you please find Raju of "MASSAGE RAJU" fame

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha... yeah is it actually a Raju who massages?? :-)

      Delete
  26. Great job Bombayjules!! You solved the mystery. I will nominate you for role in CID when ACP Pradyuman retires. :p

    ReplyDelete
  27. i wonder how have the cops not caught them for spray painting all around the city.. that too Mumbai city !!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Okay so I guess no one expected it to be the BEAN BAG itself. Thank you for solving this mystery, wonderfully presented piece Mr. BLOGGER. What a novel and impressive marketing technique. Hats off.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Appreciate this article! I had always wondered who the guys behind the graffiti were.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Now I'm wondering if this is an attempt by the marketing masterminds to promote their business online through this blog.
    That's a lot of praise for one post, after all!
    But then again, who would go through the ardous task of publishing other interesting posts to make the blog look legitimate?
    The guys who painted the city with one phone number of course!

    I'm just kidding. Please keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Unfortunately I have had to start moderating the comments on this posting as some people have chosen to spoil the party - MY party - with swearing and insults. I do not appreciate being called a loser and I am not racist and I will not tolerate swearing or disrespect to other readers on this blog. I also have not been paid to write this piece. Out of my own initiative, I decided to investigate this as a bit of fun. I did not expect this blog or my facebook posting to go viral and whilst most of the comments have been funny and complimentary, I have also been very disappointed by the attitude of a minority. This posting is not about whether I think graffiti is right or wrong or whether the initiative of these guys is misplaced. I am a guest in this city and I try not to pass judgement. And I choose to highlight and write about things that might have not been discovered by others - and in particular expats. I also connect expats and Mumbaikars to small businesses through my blog because I like to share GOOD NEWS and help those that are actually trying hard to make a living in this city (and if you took the time to read the other posts on the blog - particularly the shopping and eating section, then you would realise this). So please PLAY NICE. Thank you! (By the way, the comments that I mostly refer to have been deleted or moderated).

    ReplyDelete
  32. Why do they advertise on temp hoardings but, is it free or legal or illegal?

    ReplyDelete
  33. What's with these guys and Ram Mandir? ;-)
    *Read Address*

    ReplyDelete
  34. Is anyone reminded of the Vacuum Cleaner repair guy from Breaking Bad? :P

    ReplyDelete
  35. Is anyone reminded of the vacuum cleaner repair guy from Breaking Bad? :P (I'm still trying to keep this interesting. This blog post has broken a very interesting story I was doing in my head everytime I saw this graffiti for years!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow! This article is fabulous! Thank you so much Mr. BombayJules for the wonderful interview and exploration work that you did! I can finally put my mind to rest knowing that these guys are for real and not just a fake graffiti timepass! :P

    Great article loved it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oops! I made a mistake in the last comment that was posted (by me!)!

    Great article 'Miss' BombayJules, not Mister! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Sad truth of online forums. That aside, in my head I'm going why didn't I think of that? :P
    great find and effort and all the very best to the entrepreneurs.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank you so much for writing this blog. I have so many times perhaps thought if it could be something sinister. Well done! Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  40. So a bunch of advertisements for bean bags turned out to be... (ta-da!) advertisements for bean bags. How very exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great revelation. I always wondered what was behind this. Thanks so much for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  42. On the flip side, I think they can be held accountable for defacing public property!
    And this is certainly not so innovative.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Kitna paisa mila to write this

    ReplyDelete
  44. Great Read...I had come across the 'Bean Bag' graffiti many times in past but never gave it a thought ! But reading this blog made me curious and I enjoyed reading it and finding out more about Bean Bag Business! U really write well BombayJules!

    ReplyDelete
  45. That image of Pokemon, is actually Goku from Dragonball GT!
    http://gallery.minitokyo.net/view/467942

    ReplyDelete
  46. tell me you bought one. i mean it was a find. and what better than to rest on one of the same kind? :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. The bean bag that says Pokemon on it, is actually a picture of Goku, from Dragonball GT.

    mismatched brand names could be harmful for business. just a suggestion

    ReplyDelete
  48. Also a guest of this city, I too wondered what "beanbag" was all about as I thought it may have some other meaning. And being of Indian origin, I have not found anything in this or any other post of yours racist or offensive. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Mystery revealed at last!!

    NOW I CAN DIE IN PEACE !!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Thank you so much for doing this piece :) It was very interesting to read. I'm a Mumbaikar and yet have done nothing more than wonder at what that number was all about. Was a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Loved the topic and the way its written!

    ReplyDelete
  52. So THAT's what it was!! Haha!! Amazing story BombayJules......Thoroughly satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Good find, Mr. Article Writer:) Indeed interesting the article is. Keep the good work on of sharing mysterious facts and enlightening your readers. Good show!

    ReplyDelete
  54. haha.. I was really expecting the story to turn out in a different way..lol :P Happy to hear it isn't a shady business :D
    Is it just me or Mr Farooq Ansari has an uncanny resemblance to Heston Blumenthal :D

    ReplyDelete
  55. Nice build up!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Hahaha! Oh my goodness, i'm glad i came across your blog! I was so confused about the beanbag graffiti and always saw it on my way to college. Thanks for this wonderfully well written post! :) For me it was like a mystery that has been finally solved, phew. Haha.

    J

    ReplyDelete
  57. You know I came here expecting some kind of sinister revelation; pleasantly surprised.... Love guys who are dressed to the nines and do business well too! I will remember to call them,if I do buy beanbag and tell them I read about them from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  58. Now, I know where to get polystyrene beads for my camera bean bag ! great writing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vishwas...I was thinking the same thing...I nearly asked them for some...and they're so light too!

      Delete
  59. It is a novel idea for marketing.. You wont find an emergency helpline number on the streets but you can find Bean Bags' number.
    That's how highly available they have made themselves.
    And then, you get quality assurance and amazingly comfortable and eye catching luxury seating... That's a good business strategy.
    Available to all from streets to skyscrapers! Everyone takes the road sometime!

    ReplyDelete